What’s On Your Gratitude List Today?

We all know how focusing on the things that we’re grateful for can turn around a negative mood but have you made this a daily practice? Gratitude, grateful

I started my own version of this years ago in the form of The 10/10 Exercise.  Each day I write at least ten things for which I’m grateful.  I try to write about ten different things each day so the practice doesn’t become a rote exercise and to ensure that I notice more of the wonderful people and things in my life.

After putting myself into a great mood writing about things I’m grateful for, I follow it by writing at least ten things that I want to attract into my life.  These can be things I want to accomplish that day or week or bigger picture outcomes that may take longer.  By writing these things with my positive energies flowing, they are much more likely to happen.

Today I thought I would share with you some of the many things that have appeared in my gratitude list.  I hope these things might spur your imagination, get you to notice things in your own life you might be ignoring and inspire you to create a little more magic in your life.  Slow down a little today and see, smell, taste, hear and feel some of the things you’ve been missing.  Find inspiration by noticing the infinite beauty in the everyday things all around you.

Be grateful if you have eyes to see these things, a nose to smell them, ears to hear them, a mouth to taste them, hands to touch them and a heart to feel them.  And if you don’t have any of these senses, be grateful for the different perspective you have on the world because of it.

The petals of a flower

The eyelashes of a baby

The smell of a puppy

The rainbow of colors in a sunrise and sunset

The unconditional love of our four-legged friends

The sassy people in our lives who tell us what we really need to hear

Big hugs

Passionate kisses

The lessons we learn and take to heart from difficult relationships

Understanding the power of our own intuition

A steaming cup of tea

A quiet place to meditate

Hot showers

Seeing the gifts that show up in our life from aligning with our purpose

All that we have already accomplished in our lives

Moving daily with a great yoga practice

Walks in the woods feeling the breeze and listening as it works its way through the trees

The brilliant colors of the leaves in the fall

The bright greens of new buds in the spring

Learning to let go and let our children be their unique selves

The lessons we learn from our children

Cuddling in bed with our wee one’s

A good night’s rest

Fleece sheets

Learning to embrace a new life

Seeing the results of commitments we’ve made to ourselves

Business and marketing advice from knowledgeable friends

Having money in the bank

Knowing that we are not that annoying, little voice in our heads

Realizing that our big, hairy goals start with a simple action taken today

Knowing that we’re capable of anything that we decide to do

The bold steps we’ve taken in life after overcoming the fears that used to control us

The lessons we learn and the people we become from caring for others

The happiness in our lives and knowing that more happiness is only a decision away

Having an amazing partner who has stuck with us through all of our issues

A beautiful home

The warmth and hypnotic lapping of flames in a fire

Eating lunch on the front porch and enjoying the scenery

The infinite flavors of each bite of delicious, healthy food

The sweet burst of flavor when we bite into a fresh, organic berry

A warm bowl of oatmeal in the morning

Plenty of fresh water

An abundance of tasty foods

All the friends and family who have supported us throughout our lives

Finally getting comfortable in your own skin and living life on your own terms

Knowing that we’re OK just the way we are

Love

Beauty and inspiration are everywhere…

What’s on your gratitude list today?

Do you have a hard time meeting and speaking with new people?
How to be more outgoing

Give A Flower, Get A Smile is a movement that inspires and empowers people to engage in the simple act of giving a flower to a stranger – to help transform the world into a kinder, more connected, and joyful place.
Give A Flower, Get A Smile

Posted in: Lifestyle, Meditations for daily walks, Wellness Tagged: , , , ,

53 Responses to What’s On Your Gratitude List Today?

Cathy | Treatment Talk
    Commented:  01/28/2012 at 9:13 pm

I love how your words flow through your gratitude list. It feels like poetry. The unconditional love of our four-legged friends and Learning to let go and let our children be their unique selves jumped out at me, but they are all wonderful.

I’m in Mexico right now and took a day trip out to the country to see some pools and a waterfall. We passed many small rancheros which were amazing, but definitely a hard life. I was telling my husband tonight how grateful I am that we have our home and can enjoy the comforts that many in the world never experience. I am always grateful for just having the basics.

Commented:  01/28/2012 at 9:21 pm

Thank you Cathy!

Your trip to Mexico reminds me of a trip I took to Costa Rica. I befriended some of the locals who were so proud of their small shacks and humble possessions. While many of us would consider them to be “impoverished,” they were quite happy with their condition. It made me truly understand how little we really need in terms of stuff and how much we have to be grateful for in terms of people and relationships. We’re all pretty blessed.

Hajra
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 12:59 am

Hey Paige,

You actually made the gratitude list for us! There are so many things you mention here it is hard to add really :)

For me, I would have to say : having my lovely parents nearby, having the most beautiful of friends, having a roof over my head, knowing that help is just a call away, having peace of mind, and the belief that even if things might go wrong, I will work it out. Or at least I will try!

Thanks for this! You reminded me to be a lot more thankful! :)
    Hajra recently posted..Will they call you over for a bloggers party?My Profile

Stuart
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 2:37 am

Hey Paige,

Gratitude is a wonderful thing to experience and savour isn’t it? Only problem is, we don’t remember to do it often enough. Gratitude isn’t taught as ‘cool’ or ‘practical’, and it certainly doesn’t get us external success, so the main opinion is that it isn’t worth spending our time on.

But in our quests for eternal success and recognition, it’s worth realising that the one thing that will help de-stress ourselves and grant us even a moment’s peace, is being grateful for the simple pleasures of life. The simple things of life that don’t require effort on our behalf to achieve. They’re already there, waiting for us to be aware of them.

Great post Paige :-)
    Stuart recently posted..An Interview With Sibyl ChavisMy Profile

Commented:  01/29/2012 at 7:11 am

Thanks Stuart!

We’re trained to believe that we have to work so hard for the good stuff in life. While hard work has its place, there’s so much simple beauty all around us to lift us up and move us in our desired directions. Like you said, these things are waiting for us to be aware of them.

Commented:  01/29/2012 at 3:17 am

Every moment we live is something to be grateful about. Everything else is icing on the cake of life. Your list is so lyrically sweet, I feel like setting it to music.

I am bookmarking this to read, every once in a while. My Happiness jar project is something similar. Each time one of us at home feel happy about something, we write it on a slip of paper and put it in the Jar. When we started doing this, I was thrilled to see the jar fill up quickly. While we appreciate everything – it is when we consciously do it that we feel its true worth.

Great list, Paige!
    Vidya Sury recently posted..Sunday In My City – Vishwa Shanti Ashram 1My Profile

Alex Blackwell | The BridgeMaker
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 6:10 am

Inspiring and beautiful list Paige.

Thank you for sharing your heart with us.

Alex

Fran Sorin
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 6:29 am

Paige….WOW…this post really grabbed me. In the short time I’ve known you, I know that you’ve worked hard to get where you are today and continue to do the work.

I love you 10/10 exercise. I’ve done gratitude lists…but this is a new and inspiring way to make it a part of my day. With gratitude:) Fran

P.S. Loved the list with the links…(couldn’t find mine) LOL
    Fran Sorin recently posted..How Breaking The Rules Helped Me Create My Dream GardenMy Profile

Commented:  01/29/2012 at 7:05 am

Thanks Fran!

You’re actually in the second to last paragraph before the list (“inspire you to create”).

The 10/10 Exercise has been pretty powerful for me. Gets me going when I really need it.

1. Pingback: 29 Simple Ways to Energize Yourself | The BridgeMaker

2. Pingback: TreatmentTalk – Let Go of Your Bad Habits and Find Your Passion | Treatment Talk

3. Dave Filon
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 1:09 pm

Excellent post! By focusing on the positive your life becomes positive. This one really is a home run!
    Dave
    Dave Filon recently posted..Dark Matter and Dark Energy FoundMy Profile

Melody | Deliberate Receiving
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 2:26 pm

This is awesome advice Paige! When you take the time to be deliberately grateful, you raise your whole vibration, which allows more of the stuff you want in. And then, if you focus on what you want while in the state of gratitude, you add more energy to that which you want and speed up the manifestation. I love your list!

I’ll ad one more: I’m grateful I found your blog. :)

Hugs,
    Melody
    Melody | Deliberate Receiving recently posted..Screw Smalltalk! 11 Questions That Help You Truly ConnectMy Profile

Commented:  01/29/2012 at 4:16 pm

Thank you so much Melody!

You obviously know all about how the Law of Attraction works! I, too, am very grateful for finding your blog. I love your openness and willingness to truly be yourself. It seems that once I started doing that myself, things started shifting for me with “coincidences” opening doors for me everywhere. I feel like I’m finally on the right path!

Sibyl
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 3:32 pm

Paige: I love, love, love this post and the practice of regularly remembering and writing what you are grateful for. I really appreciated what you said about it allowing you to see bigger picture outcomes. That is such an important thing to do. Thanks for letting us take a glimpse into your beautiful mind:)

Commented:  01/29/2012 at 4:18 pm

Thank you Sibyl!

It’s my hope that, by opening up and telling my story – hairy warts and all – I can help others get past issues and live a much happier life.

Tia Sparkles
    Commented:  01/29/2012 at 10:02 pm

Thanks for the link love, Paige! I do a daily gratitude practice and love any chance to amp it up :) On my list today is that I woke up well rested, am spending the day out with mom and aunt, grateful for an amazing network of colleagues and friends incl new ones like you, signs from the Universe, confidence, happiness, sunshine, protein shakes, my travels, spirituality, parents, books, and … I’d better go get ready! xo, Tia
    Tia Sparkles recently posted..50 Top Tips & Best Ways to use Pinterest for BusinessMy Profile

Commented:  01/30/2012 at 2:25 pm

Love your list Tia! Like you, most days I have a hard time stopping at just 10. When I have the time I can go for pages. Ain’t life awesome!!

Betsy at Zen Mama
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 3:54 am

What a beautiful list! And what a clever and wonderful way to include so many people in your list. In the last few days my gratitude list for yesterday would include:

a hot tub, hot delicious coffee, my health, the supportive people around me (both in the blogging world and at home), the creativity that sparks, and really blue skies!
    Betsy at Zen Mama recently posted..Sundays In My State ~ ColoradoMy Profile

Commented:  01/30/2012 at 2:28 pm

Gotta love those blue skies, sunrises and sunsets in Colorado! I would share the rest of your list as well. Love the pictures in your latest post!

Tess The Bold Life
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 6:54 am

My refrigerator is on my gratitude list today. I remember when we were young, broke, and our refrigerator quit working. Not good. I like to be grateful for things we take for granted. Have a great week!
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted..Fear of Rejection: Get Over It!My Profile

Commented:  01/30/2012 at 2:31 pm

Perfect Tess! Many years ago when I lived in a tent for a couple months in the mountains in Wyoming for outfitting school, I became very grateful for many things we take for granted. Sometimes it takes living without to realize what we have.

Chrysta Bairre
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 7:13 am

I really enjoyed reading this today!

Gratitude is one of my favorite topics and favorite practices. I love the idea of challenging yourself to write about 10 different things each day!

Another challenge I’ve enjoyed is writing an A-Z gratitude list, coming up with as much gratitude as possible for every letter of the alphabet. This is particularly fun when done in a group!

Today I’m grateful for:
    1. A morning full of possibility
    2. Taking a few minutes for myself every morning
    3. Getting energized & inspired by new-to-me blogs
    4. The calming ticking of a clock
    5. The softness and warmth of fuzzy socks
    6. Beautiful colors all around me- greens, purples, reds & blues
    7. Finding peace within this moment
    8. Sitting near a window
    9. Confidence
    10. Being happy for today
    Chrysta Bairre recently posted..Have a Little PatienceMy Profile

Commented:  01/30/2012 at 2:33 pm

That’s a beautiful list Chrysta! It’s recognizing and appreciating all those wonderful little things that adds up to a wonderful life. Thank you for sharing your list!

4. Pingback: Developing Intuition, Identifying Intuition - Questions Answered | Powered by Intuition

5. Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 10:57 am

This is fabulous! I think when we are grateful we open the door for more things to be grateful for to enter our lives!
    Angela Artemis/Poweredbyintuition recently posted..Developing Intuition, Identifying Intuition and Getting Unstuck too!My Profile

Arvind Devalia
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 11:36 am

Paige, you said it all for us. Thank you.

Wonderful compilation of ideas – but what I would add to my gratitude list for today is hot, cooked food!

Having been on almost a weeks Green Juicing Fast and having survived on 3 or less juices a day, I am SO looking forward to a hot soup tonight:-)
    Arvind Devalia recently posted..How to See the Beauty and Greatness in Any TragedyMy Profile

Commented:  01/30/2012 at 2:54 pm

Congratulations Arvind! It takes a lot of will power to stick to a juice fast. Your body will thank you with lots of extra energy! Enjoy your soup!

Therese
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 4:15 pm

Today on my gratitude list… just breathing in & out :)
    Therese recently posted..THE DECLARATION OF REAL (& the CRUSHING of the World of Fake)My Profile

Alex Blackwell | The BridgeMaker
    Commented:  01/30/2012 at 5:46 pm

I’m grateful for exactly what I have.

Alex

farouk
    Commented:  01/31/2012 at 1:46 am

i am grateful for being around my family
    thank you pagie , i am grateful for you as well :)

Nancy Shields
    Commented:  01/31/2012 at 6:35 am

I love Gratitude lists – I keep a gratitude journal by my bedside and write down what I’m grateful for before I close my eyes – I like the 10/10 list you share with us – I will start that practice too – great idea!

Living in an attitude of gratitude makes life so much more beautiful!

In gratitude,
    Nancy
    Nancy Shields recently posted..MAY I HAVE YOUR EAR?My Profile

Commented:  01/31/2012 at 3:01 pm

Nancy,

I love the idea of keeping your gratitude list next to your bed. That way you go to sleep with those sweet thoughts in your head. Bet you have wonderful dreams!

Caroline McGraw / A Wish Come Clear
    Commented:  01/31/2012 at 9:43 am

Paige, I appreciate your sharing here, and to add to it: I’m grateful that, even though I’m not feeling so great this morning, I have the freedom and flexibility to stay in bed when I need to! ;) It makes a big difference.
    Caroline McGraw / A Wish Come Clear recently posted..The Delivery That Changed My Life (And The Book That Could Change Yours)My Profile

Commented:  01/31/2012 at 3:04 pm

That’s a huge one Caroline! I’ve worked in offices where everyone felt compelled to be at their desk no matter how they felt. That’s usually how the colds and flu would spread around the office and everyone’s homes. Everyone should have the flexibility to stay home when they need to. That’s definitely something to be grateful for. Hope you feel better soon!!

Jt Clough | Big Island Dog
    Commented:  01/31/2012 at 11:21 am

Love the 10/10 idea. The last year I have been practicing gratitude more than ever and this is a wonderful way to start the day. I’ve also been writing first thing in the morning as well instead of checking e-mail or or facebook.

Today I have gratitude for my introduction to you and getting to share in your thoughts.

Mahalo
    Jt Clough | Big Island Dog recently posted..The Reflection of DislikeMy Profile

Commented:  02/01/2012 at 9:25 am

Thank you Jt! And I’m extremely grateful for getting to know you as well. You’re an amazing person!

I’m still working on writing in the morning. I know how much it would help me. I’m just trying to figure out how to keep the kids busy long enough to get a few words out. :)

Noch Noch | be me. be natural.
    Commented:  02/01/2012 at 2:49 am

that’s quite a list. I’m simply grateful that i’m alive today :)
    Noch Noch
    Noch Noch | be me. be natural. recently posted..letter to my 16-year-oldMy Profile

Bryan Thompson
    Commented:  02/01/2012 at 6:24 am

Paige, these are some absolutely delightful tips for being grateful. And thank you for the shout-out.

Gratitude is one of those things that is continually challenging. Not that we don’t have all these things to feel grateful for, but I feel like living that gratitude out should be evident in my patience, and I admittedly don’t always live that out very well. :)
    Bryan Thompson recently posted..Tom Hanks Motivates You to Action in LARRY CROWNEMy Profile

Commented:  02/01/2012 at 9:33 am

I know what you mean, Bryan. Just yesterday I wrote “SLOW DOWN” at the top of my accountability sheet that I keep on the fridge to remind me to breathe and stay in the moment instead of worrying about all that I’m not doing in the moment. Reminding myself that I can only do one thing at a time and to be OK with that.

I laughed out loud when I got home last night. My 5 year old daughter, who is learning to read and write, copied what I wrote onto a post-it and stuck it to the cabinet where I keep my tea – the next best place to remind me. Kids are out best teachers.

6. Pingback: TreatmentTalk – Treatment Talk Monthly Message - January 2012