How Would $1 Million Affect Your Life?

How would $1 million affect your life?When I was meditating the other day, I asked the Universe for $1 million in the next month.  Most people would think that’s ridiculous.  I’ve never created anything close to this.

I did it to see what kinds of resistances would come up.  That old “not good enough, you don’t deserve it” devil emerged. I continue to struggle with eradicating that one.  My conscious mind knows it’s BS but my subconscious monkey mind just doesn’t want to let go of it.  If anyone has any ideas on that one, I would love to hear them.

Instead of struggling with the same old resistances, I reframed my request.  I want what I think $1 million will create in my life.  I want the lifestyle and ways of feeling I would have with $1 million.  That’s a deeper question.

Why would I want $1 million?

We all say we want more money but we rarely ask why we want more money.

What would we do with it?  Do we think it will make us happier?

I know that having more stuff will definitely NOT make me happier.  Been there, done that.  I’m still purging.

More money will allow me more flexibility in choosing how I spend my days.  I would spend less time on chores, errands and more mundane tasks by hiring some fabulous assistants.

On the mental and emotional side, I’m already choosing to spend my days worrying about not accomplishing enough.  Suddenly I don’t think that more money would change this.

More money will allow me to travel the world.  Actually I could travel the world today.  I would just have to get a little more creative in how I did it.  I’ve already travelled locally and internationally with very little money and had a blast!

More money will give me peace of mind.  That’s a common thing that I hear people say but what does it really mean?  How could something truly intangible give me peace of mind?  Sure, pieces of money are tangible but the intrinsic value of the paper and coins is negligible.

So this statement is actually saying that I would have enough money in the bank to cover any catastrophe that came up.  OK, that’s true.  But not having all that money in the bank isn’t keeping me up at night.

When fears start to creep up on me, I like to play the worst scenario game.  Instead of allowing the fear to take a hold of me and leave me paralyzed, I have a conversation with it.  I act like the toddler who asks “why” constantly, replacing the “why” with “and then what?”  I allow the worst case scenario to play out in front of me in my mind.  Every time I ask myself “and then what?,” I make myself think of something worse.  I call the end of the game when I can’t think of anything worse or the next thing would be my death.

From that lowest of low points, I then devise ways of dealing with it and turning it around.  I don’t try to stop it or turn it around until I can’t think of anything worse.

Funny thing is that, when I play this game over anything related to money, it’s never that bad and many of the circumstances I dream up are things I’ve already experienced.  I lived through it and learned some valuable lessons.

Back to the concept that money buys peace of mind.  Totally bogus.  I make the choice to have peace of mind regardless of my financial situation because I know that I have what it takes within me to handle, overcome and learn from any situation.

I could look at all of this and say that I don’t really need the $1 million because I already have all that I want and need.

Or I could say that my monkey mind is using this as a rationalization and way of convincing me that I don’t deserve the $1 million and all that it could provide and that I only deserve what I have today.

Looking beyond the self

Why do I want $1 million?  I have everything I need.  I have my health, my family and friends and more than enough food, water, clothing, shelter and other stuff.  I know that I have the capacity to handle anything that comes my way.

I guess $1 million would just be some nice icing on the cake for me.  I could pay off my mortgage and have true financial independence.  Yes, that would be nice.

A better question might be: How could $1 million help me to accomplish my mission of impacting millions of people and improving their lives?  That’s a different question.  It creates a whole different feeling.  Something much more expansive.

It could buy me the means of getting there faster and probably more effectively.  Sure, a lot of hard work, creativity and hustle will definitely get me there but the $1 million makes it happen faster by opening doors more quickly and allowing me to pay for assistance along the way.  It would allow me to focus my time better.

How would $1 million affect my life?

I would feel a little more at ease for having financial independence.  I would definitely continue to pursue my passions and generate income from those passions because $1 million doesn’t go that far these days.

I would have a little more time freedom to pursue my mission and passion with abandon.  I’m already making some time to do this so more money may increase this quite a bit.

It wouldn’t make me happy because being happy is my choice and it comes from inside me.  If I went crazy buying things or doing things with the money, the resulting happiness would be fleeting.  It’s the everyday happiness inside that really counts.

It wouldn’t cure my impatience.  Actually, I think that might get worse because I would feel that I really had no excuse to make everything happen now.  They say that money only magnifies our good or bad qualities.  Obviously I have some work to do here.

What would $1 million do for you?

So many people think that $1 million would radically change their lives.  While it may change your outer world, it can’t do much to change your inner world.  That’s a conscious decision to be made without regards to money.  That’s something you can do right now.

How would $1 million affect your life?  Don’t just give the pat answers that generally say that life would be better.

Go deeper.

See yourself sitting wherever you would be sitting with more money, looking out the window reflecting on your life.

Are you happy with yourself?

Are you happy with how you’re spending your time?

Does your life have more meaning?

What does the additional money do to your ability to impact on the world?  your community?  your family? you?

Do you have a hard time meeting and speaking with new people?
How to be more outgoing

Give A Flower, Get A Smile is a movement that inspires and empowers people to engage in the simple act of giving a flower to a stranger – to help transform the world into a kinder, more connected, and joyful place.
Give A Flower, Get A Smile

Posted in: Lifestyle, Meditations for daily walks, Uncategorized Tagged: , , ,

46 Responses to How Would $1 Million Affect Your Life?

1. Pingback: 5 Ways to Kickstart Your Business Idea - Daily Skin Care Tips

2. Vidya Sury
    Commented:  02/24/2012 at 8:21 pm

Gosh, Paige, is it something to do with 27th Sept? :-) Kidding!

I go through the exact same self-talk, except i use “So??” I’ve also taught my son to do that when he feels desperate about something. My usual mental question is “what is the worst that could happen?” And from there, follows all the positive thinking i am so famous for in my family. Those permanent pink glasses.

But. I would like a million dollars. Not for myself, though. I am happy with what I got. My folks always tease me by saying that even if I could afford something expensive, I’d probably go for the regular cheaper version because I am mentally made that way. I’d rather fund my favorite charities for something they need. So, if I did get a million, I would distribute it to a variety of worthy causes. I am already doing my bit – yet, for the occasions when I wish I could afford more, this would really come in handy.

Traveling the world, going on a world cruise is a dream, but when I come right down to thinking of it, I think i can manage my expenses and pack my backpack :D

I love your posts. Big hugs to you, Paige!
    Vidya Sury recently posted..The Haiku Challenge 2012 – Day 24 – Dream walksMy Profile

Commented:  02/25/2012 at 1:31 pm

The stars are very powerful Vidya!

Your comment reminded me of a practice that’s the opposite of the worst case scenario (although it’s usually the worst case that people fear and that exercise makes them face the reality). It’s asking yourself “What’s the BEST thing that could happen?” We’re usually so focused on the negative that we don’t even open ourselves to the positive.

As for your world cruise dream – where there’s a will, there’s a way. It made me think of people who house-sit. You could boat-sit or do a bit of work on smaller boats that travel various parts of the world. You never know what you have that other people need until you ask.

And it’s always great to know that we can be completely content right where we are.

Thank you so much Vidya!

Evelyn Lim
    Commented:  02/24/2012 at 9:33 pm

I do clearing for money beliefs on a regular basis. I will go through the stages of fear, then calmness and then feeling abundant. I find that the more I work on these, the easier it gets. Yet, having to clear on a regular basis shows how my mind can go on an overdrive and that I have to practice constant awareness and alertness to myself.

Even then, I so enjoyed your perspective of how you have questioned yourself. When we delve into the topic, we will find out that we are actually already very blessed and don’t need very much more.

Notwithstanding, more money can certainly help with more options in life. I hope to be able to go for more travels each year and to be able to send my kids for university education overseas. I also hope to own a dream home in a choice location. Also, more money can help with philanthropy in developing countries.

Yes $1 million doesn’t go far these days. While I am already very very lucky, it will be nice to receive more from the Universe LOL!

Great thought-provoking post, Paige!
    Evelyn Lim recently posted..Luminary Interview: Tess Marshall – The Bold LifeMy Profile

Commented:  02/25/2012 at 1:38 pm

Evelyn,

That’s great that you maintain your awareness enough to know that you need that regular clearing. Most people float through life never knowing that the junk is even there.

Yes, more money makes some choices easier but so many of the things that people think will be very expensive really aren’t. It just depends on how you approach them. For example, travel is possible with a lot or a little money. With a lot you could fly first class and stay at five star hotels. With a little you can get creative with frequent flyer miles and stay in hostels or with locals and get a great sense of local culture.

The possibilities are only as limited as we believe them to be.

Thanks for your great comment!

Rhia Robertrs
    Commented:  02/24/2012 at 9:54 pm

The money would enable us to plan for the education we wish for our three (adopted) children. I’d also like to help a needy child through college because education is what changed my life; I was raised in a very poor family in Wales, UK. My parents never owned a home and had no money to spare…but I was educated and that’s opened so many doors to me. I’ve traveled much of the world (teaching in Kuwait, Zambia, Borneo, and the US and backpacking through another 30 countries or so…alone). But of course, more travel would always be welcome.
    Rhia at http://dr-rhia.blogspot.com/2012/02/relax.html
    Rhia Robertrs recently posted..Relax!My Profile

Commented:  02/25/2012 at 1:56 pm

Wow Rhia!

You have achieved so much! And your travels are something I know that many others would love to experience. As you’re aware, travel doesn’t have to require a lot of money.

The cost of higher education has become so crazy. Back when I went to college, my family had very little money for mine and my brother’s education. We both graduated thanks to a combination of grants, scholarships and loans. There’s a lot of money out there to pay for our children’s educations. We just have to know where to look for it. And now there are some unique alternatives like Zero Tuition College (www.ztcollege.com).

And given how much things have changed – and how quickly things change – many are starting to question the value. I read a wonderful article at

The article discusses how to basically give yourself a college education in one year in order to achieve whatever you want. Certainly something to think about.

Best wishes to you Rhia!

Evan
    Commented:  02/25/2012 at 5:50 am

The money would provide more secre housing. The rest I could use to start a low cost housing scheme because housing is horrendously expensive in Australia.

As to the not good enough and being undeserving. You can trace the feeling back to the young you and nurture that young child. If you can hear specific words you can challenge them and examine them, if you can get to a why and examine it this should help. See if you can imagine something that would make you deserving or mean that you were deserving. These are just meant as thought starters, hope they are useful to you.
    Evan recently posted..Thoughts on AgingMy Profile

Commented:  02/25/2012 at 2:00 pm

Thank you so much for the great ideas Evan! Definitely something I’ll be thinking about.

And another great idea with the housing project! Sounds like you could start a movement for more reasonably priced secure housing. Go for it!

Mary Carol
    Commented:  02/25/2012 at 7:50 am

What an interesting twist on the $1,000,000 question. I’ve thought of this often in the context of simply having a bit more money. I have enough to live comfortably, but not enough to save up. What came to me is that with more money I would feel more secure, so I’ve started a few simple things to make me feel more secure today. I’m a US citizen with a Canadian pension living in Mexico. Turns out I feel a lot better if I have an extra $500 in an account in each country. It’s not a ton of money, but it makes a ton of difference to my relaxation.

I was worried about big emergencies, like needing to fly immediately to one of my children, so my daughter gave me a credit card number to use in that situation. It sits in the closet inside my passport, and I’ve stopped what-if-ing that scenario.

I also give myself little luxuries, nice towels for example, that make me feel like I’m living well. A little luxury in your life feels marvelous and expansive! Realizing this made me understand that whatever money I have or don’t have, I don’t like to “feel” poor.

I think wanting more money indicates something true about our situation, and shouldn’t be ignored or “overcome.” It’s different from greed. It’s an indicator of what would give us more peace. If we listen to the indicator, we can make more room for joy in our lives.

Thanks again for a thought-provoking post. Hugs,

Mary Carol
    Mary Carol recently posted..Random QuestionsMy Profile

Commented:  02/25/2012 at 2:06 pm

Mary Carol,

You’ve done some wonderful things to address your thoughts or fears around money. You’re a great example that we can do something today to allay the “what if” fears without a lot of money.

And I love that you still love yourself with your little luxuries. Many deny themselves of these little treasures thinking that they don’t deserve it but we’re all sooo worth it!

Thanks so much for sharing how you’ve helped yourself in this area. It’s a great example to others of what’s possible.

Melody | Deliberate Receiving
    Commented:  02/25/2012 at 2:26 pm

Hey Paige,

Awesome post. I find, when I do this kind of exercise, it’s not that I don’t believe that I could make a million dollars, or that I think I don’t deserve it (I SO deserve it), but that I believe it would be a huge hassle. I don’t know how to manage that kind of money. the solution? The realization that THIS Is why it’s not a good idea to get a million dollars dropped on your head one day, but rather, to increase your income incrementally. Basically, the Universe will grow your wealth at a pace that’s comfortable for you (or it can, if you let it). That impatience (Where’s my Money??) also tends to then be tamed. There’s a really good reason that it’s not all coming at once. It would be totally overwhelming and stressful. Whereas, if your business grows steadily, you can make adjustments and learn as you go. The idea of that feels SO much better, doesn’t it? It does to me. :)

Huge hugs!
    Melody
    Melody | Deliberate Receiving recently posted..Dear LOA: How Specific Should I Get In My Visualizations?My Profile

Commented:  02/26/2012 at 12:37 am

You’ve done it again Melody. The angel whispering in my ear that makes it all so clear. You’re exactly right on. This is the main reason lottery winners lose their money so fast. Yes, this does feel much better – like I can totally handle $1 million delivered this way.

After reading Your Money Or Your Life (which I HIGHLY recommend), I did one of the exercises in the book that has you add up all the money you’ve made in your life. Well, lo and behold, I’ve made over a million dollars! The disheartening thought was – where did it all go???

Thank you again for making it all so clear for me! You’re awesome!!

Neseret
    Commented:  02/25/2012 at 8:02 pm

Thank you for sharing such a great question and a wonderful reflection.

I believe having $ 1 Million would accellerate my ability to impact my life as well as those closest to me, my community and the world at large. I am not sure if this belief is actually true because I know some of the greatest individuals in history that have tremendeously impacted this world didn’t posesse great amounts of money.

In my world I am already a multi-millionaire because I have my health, friends and family, peace of mind, and joy. I am very happy with myself. I feel my life is meaningful and purposeful. Everyday I wake up so thankful to have another day to love, to give, to learn and grow.

As far as how I spend my time, I am happy about how I spend my time. I spend the greater portion of my days doing the things I love and feel passionate about, however having $1 million woud allow me to use ALL of my time doing those things I feel passionate about.

I would definitely travel more. I would go back to my homeland Ethiopia and open schools and clinics. I would get involved with World Vision, UNHCR, and The Pachamama Alliance in greater capacity.

I agree with the idea money would only magnify who we are as individauls.

Peace, Love & Gratitude,

Neseret
    Neseret recently posted..World Peace is Possible!My Profile

Commented:  02/26/2012 at 12:40 am

You are living a truly blessed life Neseret! And it’s wonderful to feel so content with everything.

We all know that we can achieve great things with or without a lot of money. Sometimes it seems that money and/or notoriety helps to open more doors and magnify what we can accomplish.

Blessings to you!

Nea | Self Improvement Saga
    Commented:  02/25/2012 at 10:03 pm

I love that you asked us to go deeper and see ourselves there. When I see myself with 1 million dollars, I am still me. I’m my normal happy self and my areas for improvement don’t change as a result of the money. Sure, buying 100% organic and indulging in sheets with high thread counts would be a little more practical. But the big difference the money would make is in the ways I’d help others.
    Nea | Self Improvement Saga recently posted..12 Easy Ways to Get in a Good Mood On a Bad DayMy Profile

Commented:  02/26/2012 at 12:45 am

I think we’re on the same wavelength Nea. With or without the money, we’re still the same person and our happiness in our choice. It’s funny that you mention organic food and nice sheets – those are two areas where I tend to splurge. I love buying great food. It’s funny watching my 3 small children in different grocery stores. In the “normal” grocery, they seem bored and want to leave. At the healthy, organic kinds of stores, their eyes light up as soon as they walk in the door and get really excited about the whole experience. They definitely know and feel the difference!

With or without the money, you’re doing an awesome job helping others!

Betsy at Zen Mama
    Commented:  02/26/2012 at 2:44 am

My husband and I love talking about what we’d do if we ever won the lottery. Then we’ve asked ourselves what is it we really want that the lottery would “afford” us. It’s amazing that we already have much in our lives already that the money could help with. It’s a great mental exercise. In fact I’ve often thought about writing a post similar to this. But I’ll wait a while :)

Thanks Paige! Definitely a post worth recommending!
    Betsy at Zen Mama recently posted..The Family That Plays Together, Stays Together!My Profile

Commented:  02/26/2012 at 5:44 am

Thanks Betsy!

Winning the lottery is something so many of us talk about but never really explore the answer. I think many would come to the same conclusion that you did. Most of us have everything we need in life. Isn’t that awesome?

Fran Sorin
    Commented:  02/26/2012 at 2:56 am

Paige…
    I’ve done plenty of that….much less so over the past 10 years. In fact, moving from a very large home with a beautiful garden, I am leading a minimalist like in an apt.in Tel Aviv. I am still debating (after 2 years) if I should treat myself to a new fridge or keep the one I have (15 year old hand me down from my daughter…it works fine.)

I have a few thoughts about what you wrote besides that it’s a reflective article that resonates with practically everyone. First thought….there is absolutely nothing wrong with money….it depends how much emphasis you put on it and how you use it. Deepak Chopra digs into the ‘flow of money’

The two people that I’ve known as an adult who are the most at peace, happy,with
    Fran Sorin recently posted..Tough Times Can Drive Your Creativity Into Third Gear: 8 Tips on How To Do ItMy Profile

Fran Sorin
    Commented:  02/26/2012 at 3:03 am

Sorry…my new computer is doing some strange stuff.
    But as I was saying, these 2 individuals who has a sense ofGodliness coming through them live on little money.
    I have friends with a lot of money….I don’t see it as positive or negative. Although I don’t understand why someone who is worth 30+ million would feel compelled to keep at the game of making money. I would guess it is like a chess game.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting more money. You seem to have it in perspective. A book I would recommend is ‘Excuse Me, Your Life Is Waiting’. I forgot the author’s name but it has changed many people’s lives….including some of my friends. I have not practiced what she suggests consistently enough to reap the benefits. And although I tend to be a skeptic, alot of what she says makes sense. You have nothing to lose….and why shouldn’t you have a million dollars….for whatever reasons :) Fran

Commented:  02/26/2012 at 5:49 am

Great concepts Fran!

Money is whatever we make of it. I’ve also known people who are worth many millions who simply love the game. Most are what I call serial entrepreneurs. They love the game of birthing a successful new company from an idea. Once the company starts to become too structured they sell it and start all over again.

I think those of us who are content with our stuff (like the 15yr. old fridge) are content with ourselves. I’m wondering why it had to take so long for me to get there. :)

I’ll have to check out the book you recommend. Thanks for the tip!

Have a beautiful day!!

Madeline
    Commented:  02/27/2012 at 1:55 am

Like they say, money can’t buy you happiness. It also cannot give you piece of mind. It will probably just add to your problems, considering that you will think of ways to make every dollar count.
    Madeline recently posted..good guitar postsMy Profile

Commented:  02/27/2012 at 9:56 am

Very true Madeline. Wouldn’t it be fun to go shopping at the emotion shop? Today I think I’ll buy some happiness with a little sense of security. :)

If we worry about money now, we’ll always worry about money. It just magnifies what’s already there.

Thanks for your comment!
      Paige Burkes recently posted..How Would $1 Million Affect Your Life?My Profile

Paula
    Commented:  02/27/2012 at 5:23 am

This is one of those apparently simple exercises that can really point out some blockages … lol. It’s one I need to revisit I often I think. I can do quite a good job of describing how a perfect day looks for me, but ask me the $1 million (or £1 million for me) question and I draw a complete blank. Weird. Is it that I don’t think I deserve it? I don’t think so. In fact I definitely know so … lol. Would I go out and splurge immediately? No, I don’t think so. There’s a few things I’d be looking at doing and having immediately, but I think it would be a slow process for me, a bit like getting used to a new pair of shoes or a new haircut – nice and easy, gently does it!

Commented:  02/27/2012 at 11:01 am

Paula,

Given Melody’s comment above, you may be just the person to receive that £1 million since you would take it in slowly. Time to start asking for it!

Just like you said, this is one of those “simple” questions that most people have a quick but not well thought out answer for. When we really think about it, we either don’t have an answer or are surprised by what it brings up in us.

Thanks so much for your comment, Paula!

Sylviane Nuccio
    Commented:  02/27/2012 at 5:13 pm

Hi page,

I just found you on Ruth Zive’s blog and I clicked because I have a personal development blog myself and love that subject of course.

First thing I want to say is that one can attract as much and as fast as their subconscious allows, as I am sure you know. The problem with most of us is that we have not achieved that subconscious switch yet. It’s always better to start at a level that one can “believe”. As you mention, to avoid the nasty “negative comments” that are going on in our head.

I definitely agree that money doesn’t “buy” happiness, but as we say in a French saying “it contributes to it”. And it sure does to some extent. For example, I have been enduring a bad relationship for over 4 years – a very bad one – because I couldn’t afford to live on my own. I was stuck as stuck can be, because of the “lack” of money. What contributed to my misery was down to the money. What would have contributed to my happiness was to have such money.

Maybe this is difficult for people who have never really been at the bottom to understand, but it is really true.

I have been studying the law of attraction and the subconscious mind for 6 years now and I am even a local “Life Coach”. I have all my goals written down to the details with what I would do with a million dollar and some :)

Thanks for this great post. I will be back and hope you’ll come to see me.
    Sylviane Nuccio recently posted..How To Avoid The Snares Of PerceptionMy Profile

Commented:  02/27/2012 at 10:00 pm

So glad you found me Sylviane!

Yes, we all need to start from a place that’s believable for us and go from there. And, yes, money can contribute to happiness or a sense of ease in life. Unfortunately, I’ve known quite a few pretty unhappy rich people so I know it doesn’t solve emotional problems.

Sounds like you’ve got your plan just in case the Universe delivers that $1M. :)

Your latest post on perception vs. reality is an interesting one. In my view, they are one and the same.

Thanks for your comment and hope to hear from you again soon!

Sylviane Nuccio
        Commented:  02/28/2012 at 5:38 pm

Thanks for your reply, Paige. I always come back on blogs I commented on, especially when it’s the first time. If you want to comment on my last post, please, do. This blog is a bit comment thirsty at the moment. I would love to have your feedbacks, even if you hate it :) It’s the only way you truly know how people view what you write.

It’s true that we can say that perception and reality is the same thing for a lot of times.

Thanks :)

Commented:  02/28/2012 at 6:49 pm

Sylviane,

I actually tried to comment on your latest post. I had everything typed in and hit the button and it cleared everything out saying that the name I put in was too long. It’s the same that I use on all other blogs when I comment (Paige | simple mindfulness).

Thanks again for being here!

Julie | A Clear Sign
    Commented:  02/28/2012 at 4:54 am

That’s a really interesting question. I suppose it does come down to how we’ve structured our life in order to have $1 million appear. For instance, once we had about $250,000 cash in the bank plus other assets and I was SO happy. Just something about knowing it was right there in cash made me feel like everything was cool and that we could pay for whatever came up, and there were no worries.

The thing is, unless you’re single and childless, there are other people who get involved in the money, and then it becomes a negotiation. If it weren’t for the risks the other person took, we would never have made the money, but then they keep taking risks and it gets spent and/or invested unwisely and lost. Left to my own self I would have just worked, collected a salary, and saved, but I might never have bought a home or done any of the things that we did. So, I guess there are many ways to look at what money means to us!
    Julie | A Clear Sign recently posted..It Must Be A Sign Of The Impending Apocalypse Or Maybe The Plagues Triggering The ExodusMy Profile

Commented:  02/28/2012 at 8:46 am

Even though we think of “cold, hard cash,” money has as much emotion tied to it as sex. Everyone has a different relationship with money and expresses that relationship quite differently. As T. Harv Ecker says, “How you do one thing is how you do everything.”

Whenever we accumulate larger sums of money, there will always be others who want to use it somehow. As long as anyone knows it’s there, there’s a natural attraction to it whether it’s to spend it, invest it or asking for gifts.

I may be wrong but it seems that you’ve found some peace in dealing with the loss of your money. I think everything happens for a reason and it’s up to us to find the lessons and learn from them.

Thanks so much for your comment Julie!

Tess The Bold Life
    Commented:  02/28/2012 at 5:35 pm

We all probably agree that money doesn’t buy happiness yet we all see ourselves happier with a million bucks. My mom had a 6th grade education, 10 kids and a zillion great granchildren and great granchildren. LOL

She had no money after divorcing my dad…nothing. I don’t know anyone happier than she was. Because of her big family she was constantly getting gifts, gift cards, flowers, candy…everything you can thing of. Guess what she did..she gave whatever was given to her away…to the neighbors, to the homeless, to anyone who had less and needed something.

I have some very wealthy friends. They are miserable and track every dime. They fear losing it. Crazy.

I can say that I would help others do this and do that…but really? Am I truly giving all I can now? If not why would I when I give more than when I get a million more?

I like the sounds of a cleaning person, unlimited Starbucks, those expensive sheets blah blah blah. Oh and I’d hire a gourmet chef to make every meal until the money ran out. I don’t like to cook. How’s that? LOL
    Tess The Bold Life recently posted..Relationships, Non-Internet Connections, and Bold LivingMy Profile

Commented:  02/28/2012 at 6:58 pm

Tess,

Sounds like we have the same wish list for extras that we would add to our lives. The only thing I would add is a weekly massage. :)

I’ve had the same experiences with rich friends, more frequently the ones who made their own money (aka “new rich”). They talk about it all the time with that underlying fear of losing it.

In the end, it’s the relationships in our lives that really matter. Your mother is a perfect example of this. Being blessed with a big, loving family, it sounds like she feels like she has all she needs. With the loving ways you’ve described your family, it sounds like you’re pretty blessed too.

Thanks for the awesome comment!

Tess The Bold Life
    Commented:  02/28/2012 at 5:37 pm

Now you have me started…when I get my million bucks guess what my ego will do, move the line and tell me to go for two million!

Noch Noch | be me. be natural.
    Commented:  02/29/2012 at 12:16 am

indeed, having 1million doesn’t change much for me. i it’s all in my heart and soul i need to change :)
    Noch Noch
    Noch Noch | be me. be natural. recently posted..writing poetry againMy Profile

Aileen
    Commented:  02/29/2012 at 12:35 pm

It is wise to examine our true beliefs on money. As you suggest, go deeper. One the surface level we see what it would provide, what it would do, how things would be different & it’s fascinating how when we explore more deeply, our perception changes.
    Money is a funny thing, when there isn’t enough it’s stressful, when there is enough it doesn’t really matter, and when there’s a lot it’s stressful again.
    Aileen recently posted..How to Enjoy Valentine’s Day without a ValentineMy Profile

Commented:  02/29/2012 at 1:34 pm

It’s odd how an energy can affect each of us so strongly. We allow money to create stress in our lives when its level is outside of our comfort zone. We all think we understand money so well but, just like with the $1million question, when we delve deeper and ask what money is, the answer evades us.

Thanks so much for your comment Aileen!

Lynn
    Commented:  03/01/2012 at 2:09 pm

Hi, Paige! Today’s the first time I’ve been to your blog, but I’ve seen your name and avatar around…I think we hang out in a lot of the same places (and I know that’s the case, seeing Ruth Zive’s name and Tess Marshall’s picture above!)

Winning the lottery is a subject I’ve given a lot of thought to — partly because, like most everyone, I’d really love the money and enjoy dreaming about what I’d do with it, but also just because of what a fascinating subject it is. It’s so interesting to see people’s distinct personalities and outlooks on life reflected in their answers to this question!

There’s an HBO documentary entitled “Lucky” that I’d really like to see — it follows several lottery winners to see how their winnings have affected their lives. From the trailer, it appears that life after the lottery is a mixed bag, and definitely not some kind of magic wand for bliss. I think most of us suspect that’s true — but I also think most of us (or, speaking only for myself, ME!) secretly think (at least on some level) that we’d be the exception and that winning REALLY WOULD solve OUR problems :)

Personally, what it would do for me is give me more power over my time. I couldn’t really care less about buying lots of stuff, but being able to have a cushion so I could quit my job and pursue my writing career while also being available to pick my kids up from school and run them to their various appointments, etc., would be a fabulous gift. Right now, it’s just a treadmill of wake up/commute/work/commute/dinner/bed without much time or energy to grow the biz. So, right now, for me, a lottery win wouldn’t mean “Ooh, goody, THINGS!”, it would mean “Oooh, goody, TIME FREEDOM!”

Commented:  03/01/2012 at 3:44 pm

I’m so happy you’re here Lynn! You offer a great perspective on the question. About six months ago I would have completely agreed with you on how money would create time freedom. Now I’m not so sure it’s the case.

About six months ago I left my office job (and the monotonous routine you mentioned) to be a contract CFO for two virtual start-up companies. I work a very flexible schedule at home and have my kids home with me most days (they’re 2, 5 and 8 years old). I am extremely grateful for this situation but it has its own set of challenges like trying to have a professional phone call when the kids are screaming or need something from me. It’s funny how, now that I’m at home, I sometimes wish I could escape to an office to get something done. Focus can be a problem when working at home.

Given how I operate now, I asked myself if more money would make my days easier. I was surprised that my answer was no. I could afford to hire someone to watch the kids while I worked in my office but the money wouldn’t change my mental practices or how I approach problems.

Like with all kinds of freedom (check out my previous post on freedom), there’s a great sense of responsibility that comes with it. And as much as we would like to think that we’re the exception to the people on TV, we’re really not all that different. But we’ll never know until that money lands in our lap. I’ll just keep that lucky vision in my mind. :)

Thanks again for being here Lynn!!
      Paige Burkes recently posted..Where Is Your Happy Place?My Profile

Amy Turner
    Commented:  03/07/2012 at 5:32 pm

Hello there!

I like the concept of going deeper, to find how $1million would change my life. One thing it would change for me, is that I can give more to others than I can afford now. Others mean (aside from my own family), the extended families (who are always in need of financial help), the charities, the victims of natural disasters (that are constantly occurring nowadays), and truth to tell, I could definitely use money for my comfort. As to the peace of mind, it sure buys some, knowing I will have more to spend in the coming years especially when I reach retirement age.
    Amy Turner recently posted..Student Guide to Credit CardsMy Profile

Commented:  03/08/2012 at 4:00 pm

Thanks for your comment Amy!
      When we don’t have the financial resources to help others, there are usually other ways to help with our time or other gifts. I’ve had friends and co-workers who create drives to collect things that others in different parts of the world need. Things that we take for granted and stock away in our closets could do much more good in the hands of those who have very little. Every little bit helps and you never know who else will be inspired by your actions.

Have a great day!

Sally Evans
    Commented:  05/02/2012 at 10:58 am

Great article! I’ve also asked myself this question before and your article reminded me to ask it again.

Most of the time, I find that when I think money will be the answer, I’m not really looking deep enough to discover what it is I really want.
    Sally Evans recently posted..Modular Felt Project TutorialsMy Profile